Being a teenager is difficult. From trying to fit in to pressure from school, parents, and peers, stress is inevitable. Is your teenager having a hard time managing stress? Sometimes stress may lead to or even mask anxiety. But how do you know the difference between stress and anxiety?
- Does your teen worry excessively over everyday things?
- Does your teen seem consistently nervous or on edge?
- Does your teen have a hard time stopping or controlling worries that arise?
- Does your teen demonstrate a difficult time concentrating?
- Does your teen have a hard time relaxing?
- Does your teen become easily annoyed or irritable and often?
- Does your teen dwell on things that could go wrong?
- Does your teen experience racing thoughts?
If your teen is struggling with anxiety, know they are not alone. Over 25% of teens have anxiety disorders. The causes of anxiety vary; from environmental challenges, whether it be trouble at school or relationship struggles with peers or family; medical conditions; and so much more. As teenagers are faced with a lot of changes, including physical changes, hormonal shifts, newfound freedom and responsibility, teenagers have a lot to manage and often, those changes come with increased stress and subsequent anxiety.
If your teen is ready to try therapy, they will likely be able to uncover the root cause(s) of their anxiety while learning tools to help them relax, develop better coping and problem-solving skills, shift their thinking patterns, gain self-confidence, and overcome or better manage their anxiety.
While anxiety can manifest in various diagnoses, different therapeutic approaches can be helpful in managing symptoms of several anxiety disorders, including generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, social anxiety disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, phobias, and more. If therapy seems like the right fit for your teen, schedule online at raleighfamilysolutions.com or call Family Solutions & Wellness Center to start seeing one of our therapists today.